Friday, August 9, 2013

Pre-16 Week Challenge


Last Thursday (1st August) I decided to start the 16-week plan that Delane and I had discussed. The great news is, is that in a month I had lost about 2.2kg. Given the amount that I am exercising my food still needs a lot of revision.

By Friday I had decided that perhaps it was the pre-16 week plan when I had a whole bottle of red wine and a truck load of cheese and when I say truck load….it was a lot.

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling pretty good and then realised that my poor liver and gallbladder were really struggling to process the alcohol and cheese; seriously “why Ness, WHY”. I did a killer workout at the Trusts Stadium; first time I have done those stairs since before I went to Korea. I struggled!! It is funny how I can be exercising regularly (i.e. RPM and 1 x Pump class a week) and still get totally smashed by the stairs. Even though I HATE the stairs I am also their biggest advocate as they get you fitter/stronger faster than anything else I have tried. There are 66 stairs from bottom to top and it is a 50m climb. They have helped increase my walking speed for the 9 events I have done this year.

This was the first time I had done this workout with a larger group than the girls at the MMNZ Shake Up and while I appear laid back and confident I am really not good with strangers and internally I am having a full on MELTDOWN. I just hide it well; or maybe I do not. Once I got over the feeling of wanting to go home and die quietly I did really enjoy the group; everyone is at different levels of fitness and people are so friendly. Two really cool things 1. People bring their children and that is so special and 2. My partner when doing shuttles said to me “if you can still talk, then you can work harder”.

It is now Friday and on the eve of the second workout at the Trusts I am deciding whether to go again. It is not because I do not want to; it is just that my body is knackered. I am quite stressed and my anxiety is pretty high at the moment. Since last Saturday I have already done 5 x RPM classes and I had to push through the pain in my calves/hamstrings from the stairs.

I never realised exactly which muscles I used when doing a standing climb/attack in RPM until Sunday morning when I just about cried/vomited from the lactic acid build up and a killer headache. Kids DO NOT try this at home. I have stretched heaps and used the foam roller a lot. I apologised to my body and promised that I would take better care of it. To be honest I need to:

  • Not drink for 16 weeks
  • Be kinder to my body
  • Stretch A LOT more
  • Mix up my workouts
  • Plan meals better
  • NO CHEESE (ahhhhhh maybe I just need to reduce it)

Also, for a birthday treat I went to see my doctor to check everything as I have been feeling really light-headed and kind of spaced-out “yes, even more than normal”.

The results were pretty good:
  • Blood Pressure - normal
  • Full Blood Count - Perfect
  • Cholesterol - 5.2 (should be under 5 however everything else is way down including ratio of 3.2) = Good
  • Thyroid - 2.6 = Perfect
  • Diabetic Profile - 41 (meant to be under 40) = Ok
  • Liver Function = Perfect
  • Kidney Function = Great

Yesterday (8th August) I started the 16-week challenge again and from here I need to weigh myself (it is not really about weight) and take photos weekly and blog my progress.  


Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment