Thursday, March 14, 2013

Believe, Belong, Become




Support is absolutely invaluable if you are going through tough times. A co-worker acknowledged the other day that I have had it tougher because I am only child and I have to agree with that. That is not to say that I have not had the support of my amazing family and extended family. Sorry guys…I internalise A LOT! I think that it is because I need time to process things by myself. All your offers of help did not go unnoticed; however it was easier to soldier on, on a daily basis.

I truly believe that friends are the family that we choose for ourselves. The support from them has been absolutely invaluable especially when I lost the plot. They were there to help me get back on track after a massive rant or meltdown. These friends (you know who you are) are people that I have known for over 20 years and some that I have only known for a short time. You are all so very special to me and you were the first people that I told about my dad.

To the MotivateMe NZ crew
Where do I start? Seriously, I wish I had found you when my dad first got sick. When people ask me if I'm doing ok and I say "yes" they seem dubious. However, when they ask the first thing that actually comes to mind is MMNZ. The reason for this is the support, motivation and strength that these women provide.

They give this to others without hesitation and often without even knowing them in person. When Makaia enabled me to join Delane and the Waitakere girls (Liz, Kiri, Steph and Lesley) for the last fortnight of the Summer Shake Up I realised that this group got me through some of my toughest moments. This training meant that I focused more on physical pain (figuratively) rather than the huge emotional pain that was threatening to pull me under. Every week there was something to focus on and strive toward; walk faster at Albany, try Ludas Magnas (despite being scared), keep walking the stairs at Shake Ups and trying a full push-up.

What really blew me away were some comments after the second Albany Walk (when I wanted to cry; it was the first event I had done since my dad died). Tracy mentioned that she was absolutely inspired by Ronnie and I and that actually stunned me. Here is this gorgeous, strong, fit woman saying that I was a person that inspired her. It was really humbling to read. I never thought that I would inspire anyone…ever.

“So many times in my life I have felt like you did today and instead of continuing I have sat down and cried and then just walked away. I am slowly learning to just keep going because finishing is always a better feeling than not, even if it is hard and it sucks. Next time I want to sit down and cry you are going to be my inspiration to keep going”

To Ronnie; you are amazing. You inspire me daily to be a better person and to take each day it comes. I am so, so glad that I met you at the first Albany walk; you were the reason that I joined MMNZ.

To Delane; you are the most incredible, warm, motivated person I have ever had the pleasure of training with. You care about fitness and health so much without being focused on weight-loss. You never yelled and you pushed me to my absolute limits and beyond. I cannot wait to train more with you and the girls. 

To Kiri, Liz, Steph and Lesley; thank you so much for being part of an awesome group. You some of the strongest, most focused women I have ever met. When I am feeling tired I just look to all of you for strength and keep going! Training as a group is so much more fun that struggling along alone and we are getting stronger together.

For me MMNZ is so much more than just cleaning eating and exercise. I truly Believe that I do Belong to something incredible and I cannot wait to continue my journey to Becoming the woman that I am meant to be and the woman that my dad would be even more proud of.

Thank you all.

Ness

No comments:

Post a Comment