Saturday, April 9, 2011

Things I love….

When I started blogging almost 2 years ago I had so much to say; so much to get out there and so much to get out of my head. Lately I have struggled to blog as regularly as I would like. I do not want to just blog for the sake of blogging, but I do want to keep writing as I enjoy it.


Today we watched Tamara Drewe which is quite an awesome film. There are multiple storylines that all interweave with one another but a lot of it is about writing and relationships. It made me realise that I would love to write a book someday.


I love books. As I sit here writing I can look at my bookshelf and it makes me smile. At this stage I probably need another book shelf as there is the danger of the books on the top reaching the ceiling once more. I grew up as an only child and I found solace in the word of books. I could escape into different worlds and I would become immersed in the world created by the novelist.


I was head librarian at school and I still sort my books regularly and organize them by author/series/number in series. The genre of books that people read is such a personal choice and I do not believe ANYONE has the right to judge people on their reading choices. I read anything from romance, paranormal-romance (“and I was reading this well before Twilight thanks”), chick lit, crime, mystery, cooking books, NZ literature, poetry, plays etc.


I love music. It soothes my soul and makes my heart soar. I listen to music when I am happy, sad, energetic, at the gym etc. I love playing it loud; much to my husband’s horror. If I am down it cheers me up. I love so many different types of music from rock to hip-hop to rap to country. I find rap a little like poetry that is sung.


I love movies. As with books and music I love such a diverse range of films. For me movies are about escapism and enjoyment. I try not to read too much into them and open up my mind to take everything in. If I want to see a film that has received a bad review; I still want to watch it and form my own opinion. Movies do not tend to surprise me a lot as a lot of plots are very similar. However, I love it when a movie comes along that I cannot predict a characters next move. I love anything from romance to action to sci-fi to thriller.


My favourite English teacher at high school once said that if something causes you to have a reaction i.e. happy, sad, angry etc. then it has achieved what it was meant to do. I still remember her words to this day 20 years later.


So perhaps I need to seriously think about writing a book…or even a short story would be nice. Maybe I can do it while listening to rock music.


Note: It goes without saying that I absolutely adore my husband, family, friends, our fur-kitties and other animals.




What do you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment