Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Places to see before I die


A few months ago I re-watched Bagdad Cafe on DVD. It is a beautiful, moving film and the theme song “I’m Calling You” by Jevetta Steele has always struck a chord with me. I find it a poignant song and for me it is the perfect fit for the movie.

It also made me think about travelling and seeing the world. Sometimes I do regret not having done an OE (Overseas Experience) prior to settling down with my husband and 6 cats. Now I wonder if I will ever get to see the places and things that I really want to see. I do not regret anything that I have done in my life; however I should have travelled more.

I have always lived in Auckland and while I have travelled a little, there are still so many countries that I wish to see.

Because of the commitments that we have it will be hard to go away for long periods of time, so it looks like we will have to do shorter trips to see the world.

The time has come for us to sit down and make a list of all the places that we want to see and then decide which are negotiable and which are not. There are countries that I refuse to visit because of their treatment of animals for either sport or entertainment. So India, Spain, Thailand and Vietnam are definitely out.

Places that I would love to see before I die are:
Alaska/Canada
Italy
Las Vegas
New Orleans
New York
Paris
Rarotonga
San Francisco
Venice


Where would you love to go?

I’m Calling You ~ Lyrics
A desert road from Vegas to nowhere, some place better than where you've been. A coffee machine that needs some fixing in a little café just around the bend.

I am calling you. Can't you hear me? I am calling you.

A hot dry wind blows right through me. The baby's crying and I can't sleep, but we both know a change is coming, coming closer sweet release.

I am calling you. I know you hear me. I am calling you. Ohhhh. I am calling you. I know you hear me. I am calling you.

A desert road from Vegas to nowhere, some place better than where you've been. A coffee machine that needs some fixing in a little café just around the bend.

A hot dry wind blows right through me. The baby's crying and I can't sleep and I can feel a change is coming, coming closer sweet release.

I am calling you. Can't you hear me? I am calling you. Ohhhhhhhh. Uhhhhh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment