Monday, April 5, 2010

Some words should never be used in jest


I did not know you, but I know your mum, your brother and your sister. I feel their sense of loss with you gone. Somehow your family managed to pick up the shattered pieces of their life to keep living without you here.

I love your mother so much, and in some ways I think I do know you. You were only a few months younger than me, and you had only just started your life when it was so cruelly taken away. I think of you often and cannot begin to conceive the loss of a daughter, a sister or a friend.
To the monster that brutally attacked and killed you, I have no sympathy for you. I do not care what happened in your childhood that may have led you down this path to destroy lives and families. You broke my beautiful friend and shattered her heart; and you caused many families so much grief and sadness. You took lives that were not yours to take; you had no right.

So if you make light of using the word “rape” or use it in jest, then you disgust me. If you or your family or your friends have never experienced rape then that is a blessing. However, why not spare a thought for the victims of rape and what they may feel when they see or hear that word used as a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment